About & News
What’s It All About?
For me, photography is about making a human connection.
Watching, listening and learning from the people that I photograph. The moment shared is often an intimate and vulnerable one. Ensuring that the humanity and dignity of the subject are always maintained is paramount to me.
Although not too old, I do consider myself a sort of old-school photographer. I started out sweeping the studio floor, before graduating to printing in the darkroom. I assisted some of the best photographers in the world and learned many lessons. Perhaps the most important was that it’s a tremendous honor when someone allows me to photograph him or her.
Photography has given me access to people, situations, and causes that I consider important. Being on the inside and given access to what most people will never have an opportunity to experience makes it all that more important to share. Through images and video, my job is to bring the viewer that much closer, to ask questions and maybe even be moved to action. It could be human rights, marginalized people, maternal health or my long-term project #thebirthlottery.
Sharing these stories to help make even the smallest difference is why I put my feet on the ground in the morning and why I strive to make a human connection.
• This Motorcycle Life: I’ve been interviewed for this wonderful motorcycle podcast. Listen to it here
• Pipeburn: Great feature in this amazing moto blog about The Motorcycle Portraits. See it here.
• The New York Times: A great project I was hired to shoot for the Times in Nova Scotia looking at hydro Electric Power in the Bay of Fundy. See it here
• The Globe and Mail: Excited to share a story on Canadian racecar driver Robert Wickens and his recovery from a near-fatal racing accident in Aug of 2018 in Pocono speedway in the Indy Racing Series click HERE to read the story
• META Magazine: Sometimes you and by you I mean ME :)… your photos end up in a periodical you love. And so it was the case when some images I had taken of master motorcycle builder Walt Siegl ended up in META You can check out a screen grab here.
• York University: A new series of portraits called “People Of York U” I shot for York University in Toronto is now online. You can see it here
• Sheridan College: published a nice little piece on me today. You can read it here
• Excited to announce that my image of the Three Albino Brothers has been featured on the SXSE Online Gallery curated by Elizabeth Avedon See it here
• Emmy Magazine: features my portrait of 60 Minutes Executive producer Jeff Fager.
• Everyday Mumbai: De-notified image picked up on MORE INFO
• Nomi Network uses my images on their new site MORE INFO
• UN Women: Finland MORE INFO
• Nomi Network: See how Nomi Network has been using my images to end trafficking! PDF or MORE INFO
• I’ve been honored with a photojournalist award!! MORE INFO
• I’ve been interviewed on “Full-Time Photographer” MORE INFO
• I have donated an Image to Proof.org MORE INFO
• My UN Women images on bus shelters in Finland!! MORE INFO
• PDN recognizes my work with UN Women MORE INFO
• Carrie Fisher for Jenny Craig MORE INFO
• Phase One is using my images MORE INFO
• Sprint Mobile Portraits MORE INFO
• Communication Arts selection! MORE INFO
Partial Client List
• Apnea Aap Women Worldwide • Atlantic Records
• Blurb • CBS News
• COG NYC • Emmy Magazine
• FCB Global • The Globe and Mail
• Hamlin Fistula Hospital (Ethiopia)
• India Asia Indigenous Peoples Pact
• Ipecac Recordings • Island Records
• James Perse • KHPT (India)
• Lawyers Collective (India) • Maverick Records
• Maxim Magazine • MCA
• McGarry Bowen • Nomi Network (India)
• The New York Times
• Olay • Onex
• Pagnol-Moto • Phase One
• Rolling Stone • Sony BMG
• Spin Magazine • Sprint
• UN Women • Universal Records
• Verizon • Walt Siegl Motorcycles